Accident Reports

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
David Blevins

Accident Reports

Post by David Blevins »

We have had an Enquiry from a Gentleman in Australia, regarding an Accident at Ecclefechan in June, 1901 where an Engine Driver William Brown was killed by an Over-bridge whilst inspecting water levels on his Engine.
There doe's not appear to be a Record of this Tragic Accident in the Board of Trade Returns on Railway Accidents on the Caledonian Railway, but it was recorded in the Manchester Courier for June, 1901.
Would anyone know if there were any other Accident Reports recording Deaths rather than Railway Accidents ?

David Blevins.
David Blevins

Re: Accident Reports

Post by David Blevins »

we have had another Enquiry regarding a Surfaceman losing his foot at Kilbowie in 1902 in a shunting accident.
The enquirer, probably a relative, quotes GENERAL REPORT TO BOARD OF TRADE UPON ACCIDENTS where a Google Book snippet (copied by enquirer) lists details but I am unable to gain access. It does not appear to be available in the UK and I am making enquiries if the enquirer is based in the USA where E-Books seem to be more available.
Just in case does anyone know where the "General Report" can be accessed.
Could be a new source of Caledonian Railway Staff names and additional Information.

David Blevins.
Orraman

Post by Orraman »

It looks as though it might be a Parliamentary Report.

Do you have a National Library of Scotland membership? If so sign in and. go to Digital Resources and sign in. Searching for "Report to Board of Trade upon Accidents" takes you to the ProQuest website and if resident in Scotland you should get automatic permission to search the ProQuest website.
(I think the resident in Scotland requirement is because of legal restrictions on print copyright. However other legal jurisdictions may have similar facilities for their nationals.)

That seems to take you to entries which appear to correspond.

The bad news is that the online search system to show the actual document is down and they say they are working hard to resolve the issue. (it was working yesterday)

Hope this helps.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I have gained access to the site and I will begin going through the various Reports to see what can be discovered.

Thank you for your assistance,

David Blevins.