Connel Ferry Motorail

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Jim Summers

Connel Ferry Motorail

Post by Jim Summers »

Folks interested in the Ballachulish line will be interested to know that the Steam Days magazine now at the printers will be dealing with the road-rail operation across the Connel Ferry bridge and the line generally. The Association has supplied much material, indeed the editor said he had required to expand the article in view of how much information our members had provided.

One to look out for.

Jim
Jim Summers

Re: Connel Ferry Motorail

Post by Jim Summers »

Just to confirm that a substantial article has indeed appeared in the Steam Days for December, which should now be on sale.

Jim
Bill_Gensheet

Re: Connel Ferry Motorail

Post by Bill_Gensheet »

Thanks for the advice, duly purchased.

Of interest, at least to me, is the consideration of the wider transport situation in the area (eg Bonawe ferry) and the historical road network.

One query, the article mentions two toll/gate men, is that verified ? It would seem easier to prevent any road based 'Mexicans' with only one attendant not to mention cheaper.

I also checked out a 1953 AA Road book of Scotland that I have in my maps collection, and can advise the terms of use of Connel Bridge, what is termed 'Ferry no. 32' by the book. It states the 'ferry' is open 24/7, how does that fit with other known dates of 24/7 vs two shifts, a change which has not been possible to pin down ?

it also gives vehicle width restrictions applied with the width being particularly relevant as it is difficult to envisage road and rail when standing on the bridge today.

Height 14ft3, length 'any normal' , weight 3½ tons axle, width 6ft6.
Despite the width limit goods vehicles and motor coaches are listed in the fares table (copy attached) which as can be seen is not out of line compared to the other (real) ferries in the area.

Bill
Connel-1953s.jpg
Connel-1953s.jpg (200.09 KiB) Viewed 592 times