Thornliebank Goods

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
alex mcausland

Thornliebank Goods

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi
I am doing a little research on the branch which ran from Kennishead junction to Speirsbridge goods. Originally a branch offshoot of the GB&N Direct- it had a brief passenger service before becoming part of the Caley joint undertaking with the G&SWR. The branch partly served Thornliebank works which itself predated the steam age, and at the height of its prosperity employed around 1500 people-closing on Xmas Eve 1929.
By the time I was train spotting at Busby Junction the branch had long gone- I suspect closing about 1960.
It seems the factory subsequently became a stores depot for the Ministry of Works although I can't confirm that fact as yet. I would be surprised if the original factory owners (the Crum family)were not involved with the promotion of the GB&N Direct and it seems the Caley probably worked the branch from inception
Any details of that branch and its working into BR days would be appreciated as I am some way off being able to look at source material.
Ordnance survey maps suggest a big railway presence.
The Busby Railway also ran through the village of Thornliebank and was built a lot later in the 1860's.That line did connect to the Print works at Busby and it seems there wasprobably a strong familial connection with Thornliebank Works.
Thornliebank works should not be confused with Argos works.There were of course a few of sidings off the East Kilbride branch .Most of them closed as industry and quarrying declined and the suburbs expanded
Any help much appreciated in what really is a forgotten part of the industrial history of East Renfrewshire.
Alex
Loch Awe

Re: Thornliebank Goods

Post by Loch Awe »

Alex,
Would you be able to post an OS Map showing relative position of places you mention, as its not a part of the world I know well. Hoping I might be able to dig out some material for you.

Best wishes,
Robert
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

'Railscot - Thornliebank' web-site : then scroll down the left hand side, various O.S. maps will be come readily evident. Simply 'drill in' there and much useful in formation will appear.

I live in Giffnock, roughly 3/4 mile south from Thornliebank station, so have accessed the 'Railscot' web-site for assorted stations and sites on the truncated branch to East Kilbride - the information is fascinating.

regards

Arnold T.
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Thanks for your responses.
I echo Arnolds comments 'and agree that the pre suburban history of this area is fascinating. East Renfrewshire council have a culture website which is useful and Gerald Blaikie has posted some good now and then pictures of the works.(and some interesting bits on Southside Station /Cumberland Street and the CGU).The Railscot maps show the extent of the works railway connections.
The Busby Railway would make a really interesting publication on its own.
This part of Renfrewshire has abundant supplies of water and that probably kicked off the industrial Revolution here.
Unfortunately I live 398 miles away so for the moment research on the ground will be limited.
Growing up around here there were lots of ruins of factories and abandoned quarries -and of course lots of torn up railways towards Paisley .This latter part of the story has been told admirably by Jack Kernahan.
A