Lanark Station Staff Photograph

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Angus McIntosh

Lanark Station Staff Photograph

Post by Angus McIntosh »

Station master Christopher Downie with his staff and John Menzies paper boys in a pre 1914 photograph.
With headwear ranging from bunnets to bowlers, the four gents standing centre caught my interest with what appears to be St Andrews cross on their caps.
If these are Ambulance Brigade members, would the caps be worn on regular duties or only for section competitions and special occasions ?

Angus
Attachments
Lanark Station Staff.jpg
Lanark Station Staff.jpg (994.01 KiB) Viewed 472 times
dunalastairv

Re: Lanark Station Staff Photograph

Post by dunalastairv »

What a perfectly wonderful photograph! With a little computer manipulation by someone who knows what they're doing (not me!) you could draw a lot more detail from it. Would I be right in thinking the poster board is headed 'Lanark Town Station'?
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

It is the poster that really interests me. At first I wondered if the photo had been taken at a different station - the name of which ended in '..town', such as Holytown or Overtown, but the tree in the background existed at Lanark station. I suppose 'Lanark Town' could distinguish from 'Lanark Racecourse' - which Quick says opened in 1910, but I have not seen Lanark referred to as the 'Town' station before in any official document. In enlarging the photo the listed departures make sense for Lanark: Edinburgh, I guess Glasgow, I guess Muirkirk, next somewhere ending in '..ton', then Edinburgh. However none of the few CR-era timetables I have has departures at the times listed for these destinations.

John
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Might I suggest, if it were possible, that this picture be published, suitably enhanced, as a whole page spread in an issue of TTL? It's just too good not to be admired by all our readers.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

I can do the photoshopping if Angus agrees.

John
Angus McIntosh

Post by Angus McIntosh »

Yes, I have no problem with this.

Angus
Angus McIntosh

Post by Angus McIntosh »

Regarding the poster board headed with 'Lanark Town Station', the CR guide to the International Aviation Meeting of 1910 contains references to both the 'Town Station And Racecourse Station'.
Also of Caley interest is the building in the background, Fernielea Art Studio which was the business home of Archibald Brown & Co, official photographers to the Caledonian Railway Company.

Angus
Attachments
Lanark Int Aviation Meeting CR Brochure.jpg
Lanark Int Aviation Meeting CR Brochure.jpg (657.87 KiB) Viewed 184 times
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Fascinating Angus, and a valuable piece of research. Thank you.