Identify a Colliery

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
duncan

Identify a Colliery

Post by duncan »

A topic on RMweb is trying to identify the return to colliery of a Brechin Co-op coal wagon. People are thinking Fife, but would it be more likely to be a Lanarkshire colliery for a CR registered wagon ? Any thoughts ?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/18 ... a-colliery

Duncan
Duncan
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Identify a Colliery

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

It's Eddlewood Colliery according to the RY Pickering order book.

Best

Mike
duncan

Post by duncan »

Many thanks Mike, will you have details in your books, I can give them a plug ?
Duncan
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Glad to help Duncan. There were two Co-ops in Brechin - the Brechin Equitable and the United Co-operative Association, Brechin which merged in 1913 to form the Brechin United Cooperative Society Ltd. Eddlewood Colliery was purchased in 1896 by John Watson, by the way. All this and a whole lot more will be revealed in the first volume of Scottish Traders' Wagons.

Best

Mike
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

I greatly look forward to your book Mike. Having looked only today at a picture taken in Yorkhire of what looks like a Scottish-style wagon (cupboard doors) being used by Stavely, based in England, I'm curious as to whether the book covers wagons built in Scotland, registered by Scottish railways, or used by Scottish traders?

Thanks!

Mike
duncan

Post by duncan »

Many thanks Mike, added to the RMweb post.
Duncan
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Hello Mike 1

The books - three of them, confine themselves to wagons used by Scottish traders. A fair number of wagons were registered by the Caley but were operated by English traders, the biggest being Albert Usher (572 wagons reported in 1910 as part of evidence to a Railway & Canal Commissioners arbitration hearing). Staveley wasn't on the list but the wagon may have been sold on, or originally part of a wagon builder's hire fleet. If you would like to email me the photo, maybe I can tell something about it. The history of Scottish trader' wagons is a fair old labyrinth! Finally, they aren't my books - I'm helping Ed McKenna get them ready for publication.

Best

Mike
Last edited by MIKEWILLIAMS on Fri May 10, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Thanks Mike. Seems I went down a rabbit hole because Stephen Lea has posted online that “Staveley and Sheepbridge with cupboard doors. The Midland PO registers reveal that both companies built their own wagons and several batches are recorded as having cupboard doors.”

So not Scottish at all! I never knew that. Apologies.

Mike