PO wagon livery

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jimwatt2mm

PO wagon livery

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Not strictly speaking Caley, but in Caley territory. Several days ago i was alerted to this thread on RMWeb, having been mentioned in it as a possible source of info https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/179065-id ... nt-5163627 .
Does anyone know what the base colour of a Dundee Eastern Co-operative Society wagon was?

Jim W
Mike 1

Re: PO wagon livery

Post by Mike 1 »

Regrettably, I can't help. But whilst looking through to check I noticed the only picture published shows very narrow doors in the sides. Any suggestions why the standard RCH size wasn't used?

I am more intrigued than knowledgeable when it comes to P.O. wagons!

Mike
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

The Society was established as early as 1873 but it is believed that it did not own any wagons until 1936, when it acquired a large number with the purchase of the Dundee business of coal merchant Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd to whom the Co-op’s coal business had been sub-contracted. According to the NBR Traders’ Register there were sixty of these wagons, all conversions from solid buffers, which had carried the Taylor fleet Nos. 152 and 251 to 310. This photograph was taken in wartime, but the colour has not been recorded as far as I know. Robert Taylor's wagons were painted brown oxide.

Best

Mike
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Thanks, Mike.

I'll quote what you say on the original topic on RMWeb.

Jim W