Train @ Kingsknowe

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
caleyJim

Train @ Kingsknowe

Post by caleyJim »

Attached is a photograph of a Caley train crossing the Union Canal at Kingsknowe on the western outskirts of Edinburgh. It comes from Gutherie Hutton's book 'The Old Union Canal' (Stenlake , Catrine, 2017, ISBN 9781840337815). It is unattributed and merely states the date as being pre-1923. But I'm sure we can do much better than that!

For a start the engine is a Brittain Class 130, so the date is no earlier than 1877 and no later than 1917, those being the build and last withdrawal years for these engines. Given that in their later years these engines were mostly relegated to use as station pilots and that the working pictured looks to be of reasonable import I'm tempted to say no later than 1900. Looking at the coaches I'd say that the first three are 45' coaches with a 6 cpt. brake third leading. I fancy that there is a slight increase in the roof height on the 4th to 6th coaches. Two possibilities here, post 1896 45' stock or post 1899 48' stock - hard to be certain of the length of these coaches but neither possibility contradicts my suggestion. The signal spectacle looks to be of an early pattern so I don't know if that pushes it to the early part of the window.

Over to you.

Jim :D
Attachments
UC_Kingsknowe.jpg
UC_Kingsknowe.jpg (112.9 KiB) Viewed 631 times
dumb buffer

Re: Train @ Kingsknowe

Post by dumb buffer »

The Semaphore indicator appears to have both arms pointing horizontally left (as seen from the front). Which doesn't make any sense to me!

Allan F
caleyJim

Re: Train @ Kingsknowe

Post by caleyJim »

Allan

Thanks for the contribution but I'm not sure about that - I think the second arm is lost against the sky. Please remember that this photo is scanned from a book and while the reproduction therein is quite good, detail is inevitably lost. A position of 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock would mean main line to (or from) Carstairs and Carlisle.

Jim :D