an interesting ex-WCJS 42ft carriage

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Mike 1

an interesting ex-WCJS 42ft carriage

Post by Mike 1 »

I understand this is a Caledonian Railway Association image, although it appeared on a Cumbrian Railways forum. It is the carriage that interests me and I hope others too.

The first vehicle is an ex-WCJS D22, being the only diagram with a matching compartment layout. Millard points out in his book that they were unusual in having droplights in the luggage doors, because there was no other door to the luggage compartment. I'll come back to light in luggage compartments shortly. There were ten of them built in 1889 with radial underframes and all were displaced from the WCJS in 1896, five coming to the Caledonian. It wasn't until 1898 that the LNWR adopted the modern train alarm system, so that must have been fitted by the Caledonian. Its gearbox is a rounded shape and offset to the right rather than being rectangular and central (with a vac pipe cranked to the left), as on Wolverton stock. The alarm gear is also fitted to the end with steps which was not the norm at Wolverton, but perhaps more common at St.Rollox?

The lettering on the upper panel of the lookout is very Caledonian, but I am intrigued by the lack of windows in the end. Normally, when there was a half compartment there were also large windows in that end, so the occupants could take advantage of the view and the light, but this has none. maybe the windows were taken out when that compartment was downgraded by the Caledonian from First to Third? However, the door to that compartment has dark waist panels (probably slate) which were used on luggage doors, not doors intended for passengers, so was that compartment changed into additional luggage space and that necessitated removal of the windows to prevent breakage?

Mike Williams's excellent book on Caledonian carriages illustrates the original end windows on a different carriage in plate 8.13 and in plate 8.14 he shows a carriage where he says the end compartment has also been changed to a luggage compartment, but without slate panels. In that picture new end windows have been added into a carriage which never had them before - the opposite to this one!

Another detail is the cast iron length pate which the LNWR fitted to the right hand end of each solebar. Its not there, but there is a white mark of the right size midway between the two axles, so did the Caledonian go to all the trouble of moving the plate just a few feet?

Finally, the picture obviously shows the carriage after being taken over by the Caledonian in 1896, but does the locomotive enable others to give a more accurate date please?

I hope others find the picture as interesting as I do and I'd love to hear some comments, especially from our carriage expert(s)!

Mike
Attachments
Caley Carlisle.png
Caley Carlisle.png (305.24 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Mike 1

Re: an interesting ex-WCJS 42ft carriage

Post by Mike 1 »

If anyone can date the picture I'd be most grateful. For a start, when did the Caledonian remove lower footboards from their carriages?

Mike
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

I haven't seen any 45ft, 48ft or WCJS absorbed carriages in CR livery without lower footboards, Mike. The last ones built with footboards were the 50ft stock of 1902.

Best

Mike
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Thank you Mike.