MacIntosh 45’ Coach Questions

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

MacIntosh 45’ Coach Questions

Post by lindsay_g »

I’m presently trying to figure out a few details of the 45’ coaching stock. This one may be right up Mike W’s street, but others with drawings or images not in the public domain may have the (possible) answers.

Communication Alarm Gear

As part of the build of a number of horsebox models, I’ve pondered over drawings and images in respect of the alarm gear piping. In virtually all, if not all cases, piping ran from both the Westinghouse and vacuum brake pipes on the drawbar to the alarm control box at cantrail height. I expected to see the same sort of pipe running from the Westinghouse pipe to the alarm control box on 45’ stock (as indeed it did on 48’ stock and retrofitted to other stock – see P40 of the Carriage Book). However, drawings of 45’ stock (not CR original drawings) on P173 suggest the pipe runs from the control box and disappears between body and drawbar and that it ran down right of centre. On the SLS Filemaster site there is an image of a 45’ coach at Callander (listed as diagram 4 – but I failed to find this diagram in the Carriage book) but the control box is to the left of centre (albeit, it is in the LMS era when the W/H gear may have been replaced by vacuum piping). There is an image of a 45’ (or is it 48’?) coach on P176 showing the control box to the right but that is just confusing me further as the 45/48’ stock had a higher roof because of reduced height gas lamps, but that carriage exhibits old style lamp holders (but again it is in LMS period so things may have altered in that period).

So, the question is do any CR drawings (or images in the CR period – I expect not) clearly show the run of piping from the control box?

Truss Rodding

This one might be easier to answer. What was the diameter of the truss rodding on the 45’ stock? I think it may be shown on some of the drawings but I’ve failed to magnify images from the Carriage book large enough to make out what this might have been. Any details on the profile of the queen posts would also be helpful (may be oval in cross section judging by drawings).

Lindsay
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: MacIntosh 45’ Coach Questions

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

The street peters out to a cul de sac, Lindsay.

Easy bits first. Diagram 4 is small diagram book speak for large book 33 (see app. 2 of Carriage Book). The pipe was 1.25 in diameter and the cross section of the queen posts was oval (from Figure 8.12)

I haven't been able to find an image and St. Rollox doesn't seem to have issued a drawing of the addition of the passenger alarm to existing carriages. I think that the Duncan Burton drawings on p.176 of the pipework disappearing under the floor are red herrings. The only evidence we have is that the alarm pipe was tapped into the Westinghouse brake upstand, which is the obvious way make the addition. It's quick to do and uses the least material - remember that all the GB railways were doing the same thing at the same time and trying to make the conversion as soon as possible.

Best

Mike
lindsay_g

Re: MacIntosh 45’ Coach Questions

Post by lindsay_g »

Many thanks for the reply, Mike.

I would have assumed that the truss pipes were a lot greater than 1.25" so that's good to know before I started to model them. I'd got the impression from diagram 8.12 that the queen posts might have been oval - oh joy, wonder how I'll represent them without a great deal of effort!

I thought that the drawings of the piping (those attributed to Duncan Barton) seemed odd as all other drawings and actual images of horse boxes from other companies of the period show the Westinghouse and vacuum pipes leading from the brake pipes on the drawbar. The most logical position for the alarm junction box would seem to be to the left of centre as again that minimises the pipe run down to the W/H hose pipe. A wee bit rework needed there for me, but hey ho, better doing it now than discovering after painting.

Thanks again,

Lindsay