Partick Central (KelvinHall) Station

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Trawest

Partick Central (KelvinHall) Station

Post by Trawest »

I have been gathering photographs of the now demolished Partick Central (KelvinHall) station with an aim of modelling the front (and sides) of the Benalder Street Booking Office building. Whilst a relatively modest building it has very ornate stonework and carvings.

Having recently measured the gap in the Bridge parapet and the height of the parapet itself to determine the length and height of the building, I have an outline drawing of the structure. Of the photographs I have acquired from the internet, and some help from David John of Kelvinbank fame, I have a few good views of the stone carvings on the top extremes of the building and the carved pediments adorning each side of the Door and window openings. However, I lack photographs of how far this type of detail protrudes from the building itself. If anybody has any very close up photographs of the Door and window openings and the rest of the stone work that they would be willing to share it would be very much appreciated.

I am also looking for any detailed information on the very ornate lamp bracket that use to adorn the front of the building. I have one photograph that shows this lamp bracket but it is a rather blurred image and does not clearly show the detail.

One last bit of detail required, at present, concerns the fan light windows above each window and door opening. Are they a one piece of glass or are there window bars? From all the photographs I have of Partick Central it is very difficult to determine the answer. The one photograph of Crow Road Station, similar design to Partick Central, found in a previous issue of "The True Line", looks like the Fan Light is made from one piece of glass.

Trawest
David Blevins

Re: Partick Central (KelvinHall) Station

Post by David Blevins »

This photo of Partick Central Station might help.

David Blevins.
Attachments
Partick Central DB 19.jpg
Partick Central DB 19.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 714 times
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Here is a rear view of the Station Building taken in the 1970's.

David Blevins.
Attachments
Partick Central DB 4 - Copy.jpg
Partick Central DB 4 - Copy.jpg (127.94 KiB) Viewed 711 times
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I have been trying to re-size from Tiff to Jpeg for a couple of more shots of Partick Central.

David Blevins.
Attachments
Partick Central DB 18 - Copy.jpg
Partick Central DB 18 - Copy.jpg (148.8 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Partick Central DB 6 - Copy.jpg
Partick Central DB 6 - Copy.jpg (277.48 KiB) Viewed 709 times
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

With regard to the ornate lamp bracket on the front of the station, the Caley tended to buy decorative ironwork like this from George Smith's, Sun Foundry. I believe catalogues of their work still exist and a search through of one of these might find you a detailed diagram of this particular
design.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Hi Trawest,

Here are some detail photos. Unfortunately the fanlight windows had been covered up by the time I took the photos.

John
Attachments
Partick Central 4.jpg
Partick Central 4.jpg (785.3 KiB) Viewed 639 times
CR 2 scans321.jpg
CR 2 scans321.jpg (755.14 KiB) Viewed 639 times
CR 2 scans303.jpg
CR 2 scans303.jpg (538.71 KiB) Viewed 639 times
CR 2 scans268.jpg
CR 2 scans268.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 639 times
CR 2 scans257.jpg
CR 2 scans257.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 639 times
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

And another one
Attachments
Kelvin Hall 1 - compressed.jpg
Kelvin Hall 1 - compressed.jpg (921.01 KiB) Viewed 639 times
Trawest

Post by Trawest »

Thank you to David and John for the photographs provided. Very much appreciated.

With regards to David’s photo of the cast Iron Lamp Bracket on the front of the building. That is the same photograph that I have and it is difficult to determine the detail of the casting. It does appear to be quite a sturdy / heavy item and rather grand for the building. I wonder if a similar casting was used on the frontage of Crow Road station?

Dunalastairv - thank you for the suggestion concerning George Smiths Sun Foundry. I have looked online searching items on the Sun Foundry and there is a lot to delve into. A bit of research required for a rainy day. I would suggest that it is one of these items that a photograph will appear one day by chance.

Regards

Trawest
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Here are the only two photos I have of Crow Road which show the lamp bracket and neither are very clear. The Bluebell photo is a thumbnail from their catalogue, you might want to buy a print from them for greater clarity.

John
Attachments
Crow Road WAC Smith.jpg
Crow Road WAC Smith.jpg (142.45 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Crow road Bluebell.jpg
Crow road Bluebell.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Trawest

Post by Trawest »

John

Thank you for posting photographs of Crow Road Station. I am even more curious now as to whether this style of Lamp bracket can be found on any other Caley Station or whether it was bought or commissioned for Partick Central and Crow Road Stations only.

Regards

Trawest
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Here are a few close-ups, without straying beyond the GCR (all from photos in my recent articles).

John
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (59.06 KiB) Viewed 408 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 408 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Trawest

Post by Trawest »

The CAD Drawing of Partick Central Station (Benalder Street Booking Office) currently in progress highlights many an architectural detail of this structure that is more complex and intriguing when looked at closely. One item being the stone carvings (Cartouche?) on the top right and left portions of the front of the building (see Picture attached). Was there a significance to these carvings for the Caledonian Railway as they appear not only on Partick Central but also at Crow Road and Possil Station. Were similar carvings used on any other Caley stations and are there any others that still exist other than Possil. Were there set dimensions/measurements for this particular carving (Cartouche?).

Please note that permission has been given for use by the owner of the photograph, Stuart Neville, which can be found on Flickr.

Trawest
Attachments
Partick Central 38.png
Partick Central 38.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 278 times
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

I have a query. While all of the examples I have seen of this type of building have been on bridges. Was this style ever used for Ground level buildings or was it peculiar to the Glasgow Central Railway? I can see some vague similarities with the rebuilt Station at Greenock Central after the line was extended to Gourock.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Jane,

Don't forget that Partick Central was on the Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire line, not the GCR. Partick Central and Crow Road were the only station buildings on this line that were mounted on bridges, most other stations were island platforms on embankments, with the station offices at street level under the station. See my series of articles on all the L&D stations in True Lines 102 to 111. While these stations had plain buildings, some others on the line had decorative buildings which no doubt featured stone cartouches and other embellishments - eg: Kelvinside, Clydebank Riverside, Kilpatrick, Dumbarton Central.

John
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

Thank you John.
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

Some excellent photos of Partick central there, I do wish I had room to model it all properly.

I think I used an ornamental bracket lamp made by Viessmann.