BRIDGE LOCATION

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Angus McIntosh

BRIDGE LOCATION

Post by Angus McIntosh »

Bridge over the River ......pdf
(787.5 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
Can anyone help with identifying the location of the bridge in the attached.
The squad of workmen are reported to belong to Carstairs Junction.

Thanks
Angus
caley739

Re: BRIDGE LOCATION

Post by caley739 »

A bit of a guess, but if the men are from Carstairs and it is not on the main line, could it be the viaduct over the Clyde near Coulter on the Symington to Peebles line? On the OS said viaduct appears to have a middle pier but it is not possible to say if one is present in your photo, although the river seems wide enough to require one.

Tom Robertson
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Wolfclyde viaduct was my first thought too, but I'm not sure that any of the piers on it had sections projecting above the girders or that any of the girders were 'through' rather than 'deck'. I've seen a photo of it somewhere (TTL?) but can't lay my hands on it at present.

I'll have a look at the piers next time I'm passing in daylight.

Jim W (in Biggar)
Angus McIntosh

Post by Angus McIntosh »

Tom and Jim,
Thanks for your suggestion of Wolfclyde.
The Peebles Railway book (P 223) has a good photograph of Wolfclyde that highlights that the piers had radius ends and the girder sections were parallel rather than arched as in my photograph.

Thanks

Angus
caley739

Post by caley739 »

I've failed to match the photo to any of the viaducts over the Clyde that I can find. I don't think it can be on the Muirkirk line since the Douglas Water is not this wide anywhere.Going further afield could it be the viaduct over the River Esk at Mossband? However would a squad from Carstairs Junction work so far south? Perhaps the reason for the photo is that they are working outside their usual patch.

Tom Robertson