Where, What, When

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
jim mac

Where, What, When

Post by jim mac »

It was remarked in another topic that the Forum was currently lacking in "Where, What, When" posts. Perhaps the attached will remedy that.
Mills 4_1_4_155.jpg
Mills 4_1_4_155.jpg (248.01 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
Any thoughts as to the location, the bi-directional signal gantry may suggest it is near a terminus.
jim mac
dunalastairv

Re: Where, What, When

Post by dunalastairv »

Just an initial thought - and I've done no research - but those signals look G.S.W. to me. Could this be Greenock, Princes Pier?
caley739

Post by caley739 »

Michael
I think you are right with Greenock Princes Pier. If my interpretation of the OS 1938 is correct, the train is crossing Brougham Street and entering the station and the church to the right seems to be in the right position. That signal bridge is also quite distinctive and I cannot think of any other exactly like it. The engine seems to have a BR cabside number so I think 1950s for the date.

Tom Robertson
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Dear Tom,

Thank you for that and yes, it definitely is Greenock, Princes Pier. The confirmation comes courtesy of an August 1952 picture on page 104 of "The Railway Infrastructure of Scotland", by Brian J. Dickson, Kestrel Press, 2015. This is a train approaching the Terminus as Jim surmises and early-1950s would be my guess too.

Michael.
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Many thanks for the Princes Pier location.

How about this one.
Mills 4_1_3_136 reduced.jpg
Mills 4_1_3_136 reduced.jpg (175.45 KiB) Viewed 27885 times
jim mac
caley739

Post by caley739 »

My first thought is Dolphinton Junction Carstairs,with the State Mental Institution in the left background. From the shabby state of the loco my guess is a post WW2 late 1940s date. The loco,a DunalastairIV, is likely to be allocated to Carstairs or Dalry Road altough I cannot read the shed plate located to the top of the door in typical Northern Division fashion. The train likely to be an Edinburgh-Lanark service.

Tom Robertson
Last edited by caley739 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I think I would go along with Tom on this one.
JimS
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Erm, it says Dolphinton Junction on the signalbox nameboard!
JimG

Post by JimG »

dunalastairv wrote:Erm, it says Dolphinton Junction on the signalbox nameboard!
We sometimes forget that the forum software crops a fair margin off pictures. :D

Jim G.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

JimG wrote:
dunalastairv wrote:Erm, it says Dolphinton Junction on the signalbox nameboard!
We sometimes forget that the forum software crops a fair margin off pictures. :D

Jim G.
But if you click on the picture it comes up with the whole thing.

Jim W
JimG

Post by JimG »

jimwatt2mm wrote:
JimG wrote:
But if you click on the picture it comes up with the whole thing.
But not on my setup, Jim. When I click on a picture on the forum it does enlarge to get rid of the scroll bars. But to see the whole picture - like the one in question, I have to copy and paste it into an image viewing program. When I click on the picture in the forum thread, I can just see the steps to the signal box on the right, but no signal box building.

Jim G.
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Thanks for all the responses, I might have to consider changing my glasses, as I was unable to read the nameboard until Michael pointed it out.

Here is another query, this time I am struggling to read the target on the lamp post, can you assist again.
Mills 4_2_4_000.jpg
Mills 4_2_4_000.jpg (274.23 KiB) Viewed 27809 times
This image, like the previous one, is set at 800 pixels wide, the recommended width for the Forum and I get the full width image on my screen.
jim mac
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Now, after being a clever so-and-so with the Dolphinton Junction, this really is a mystery. Those are Scottish Region totems so I'd guess this is mid-1950s, and the place is distinct, with platform access off a road overbridge and, I suspect, the signal box on extreme centre right. No idea sadly but I await responses with much interest.
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

I think this one is Muirend from the footbridge that ran (runs?) over the line at the east of the station. My paper run took me over that bridge 6 days a week for a while. If it is, then the shed was 80 feet long - I remember borrowing my dad's measuring tape in a fit of early enthusiasm. No other measurements survive in my mind and if it was ever written down, than that's gone too.
Alisdair
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Yep, Muirend it is - the Railscot website pictures confirm it. Apparently both main station building and goods shed are still? standing.
JimG

Post by JimG »

jim mac wrote: This image, like the previous one, is set at 800 pixels wide, the recommended width for the Forum and I get the full width image on my screen.
Jim,

I've just worked out what is going on. If you zoom in on the browser window using Ctrl+ the browser starts to truncate the width of the pictures even when clicked to get rid of the scroll bars. This happens on both Firefox and Chrome. If I zoom out using Ctrl-, the full width of the picture appears.

Until I had my cornea transplant and cataract operation, I was having to zoom in to be able to read web pages. :)

Jim G.
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

This second photograph is definitely Muirend - it was a local station to me, being born & brought up in Cathcart, so Muirend was & is 3/4 south, roughly speaking, from Cathcart. The station building is still standing, but the goods shed is long gone - removed way back circa 1985 to construct housing for the elderly.

The late William D.Stewart spoke fondly of memories of this station, growing up as he did just before the First World War, when young lads would observe the steam railway in all its glory. Willie was one of our Founder Members way back in 1983, and was rewarded with Honorary Life Membership in 1986 for his role in providing the Association with his wide range line drawings of Caledonian and Highland Railway locomotives to publish.

regards

Arnold T
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

Typing error : it should, of course, read 'This third photograph is Muriend....'
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Having agreed on three out of three, can you assist with the following images;
Mills 4_1_3_019 reduced.jpg
Mills 4_1_3_019 reduced.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 27663 times
Mills 4_1_3_059 reduced.jpg
Mills 4_1_3_059 reduced.jpg (122.59 KiB) Viewed 27663 times
I thought this might be the C&O junction at Dunblane, but am not convinced
jim mac
caley739

Post by caley739 »

For my suggestion I think 14351 is at Aberdeen Ferryhill. The tracks in the foreground lead to the wagon repair shop offscene to the right and the photographer is standing in the shed yard. The background buildings are the Devanha Distillery.

Tom Robertson
caley739

Post by caley739 »

For 14? ,Dunblane does not seem like a good fit against the OS. She appears to have the semaphore indicator for an empty carriage train, which suggests somewhere further South, but where defeats me for the moment.

Tom Robertson
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

14351 is I think passing Slateford Maltings on the Edinburgh-Carstairs mainline with the carriage sidings/yard in front. Signals are for the Junction towards Murrayfield and the North of Edinburgh past the Caledonian Brewery.

The Maltings are still there - converted to flats now but still recognizable from Google Streetview here even with the reduced height vents on the towers.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.91 KiB) Viewed 27620 times
caley739

Post by caley739 »

Sinclair
I have to agree that your Slateford identification is right and my Aberdeen idea is wrong. The comparison between the current Google view and the original photo is very convincing. Oddly enough I did look at the Slateford area when trying to validate my original idea on the OS but failed to connect some of the details. So egg on face over this one, but ho hum, bring on the next challenge!

Tom
caley739

Post by caley739 »

For 14? I'm having second thoughts that it could be Dunblane. In "Signalling The Caledonian Railway" page 27 there is what seems a fairly good match to this photo.
It is just possible that the semaphore indicator has both arms pointing downward, an inverted "V", but difficult to be sure. That would be the code for Edinburgh and The North.

Tom
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

caley739 wrote:For 14? I'm having second thoughts that it could be Dunblane. In "Signalling The Caledonian Railway" page 27 there is what seems a fairly good match to this photo.
It is just possible that the semaphore indicator has both arms pointing downward, an inverted "V", but difficult to be sure. That would be the code for Edinburgh and The North.

Tom
It is actually a good match to the 1930 OS mapping, which incorporated the double track junction, the siding (with the headshunt and buffer) to the right and the signal post whose arms seem to be for traffic in the other direction. Could that be for the sightline of trains approaching from Perth? The overbridge in the background would be the pedestrian crossing from Caledonian Place.

John