Cambusnethan goods shed

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
alex mcausland

Cambusnethan goods shed

Post by alex mcausland »

We have recently completed a 7mm 3d print of the above.Can anyone confirm what colour the main body of the shed might be?
Casting my mind back 50 or so years I seem to recall that similar structures at Muirend and Whitecraigs were a sort of tan colour but that was an awfully long time ago......
Alex
jimwatt2mm

Re: Cambusnethan goods shed

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Depends what period you're modelling. In CR days the planking would be red oxide with purple brown framing and doors and white window frames. I don't know about later periods.

Jim W
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi Jim
Thanks for that-my period is sixties BR- do you think car plan red primer might hit the spot?
Fortunately the shed has sliding doors and that will minimise the damage from wayward Claytons and class 20s-
goods_shed.jpg
goods_shed.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

From memory, in the late 60s, Muirend goods shed was painted an all over mid brown. I did take some photos with my very basic camera at the time (doing my paper round...) I don't have much hope of finding them in my piling (not a typo) system, but I'll have a look.
Alisdair
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Thanks Alisdair that would be very helpful.
I remember going to the pictures there!

Alex
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

This is Burrelton goods shed. Clearly after its retirement from BR service but still displaying much of its last paintwork.
Burrelton.jpg
Burrelton.jpg (156.91 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
John
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

From my recollection of the '60's goods sheds were generally either an all over dark brown or cream with brown base, framing and doors.

Jim W
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Thank-you both-I will spray red oxide primer and then try and get some variation in with some acrylics. (assuming that there is no chemical reaction by mixing the two)
These printed buildings are fascinating to see-we have also done the weigh hut from Cambusnethan in 4mm scale and in 7mm-those are brick and they look a similar style to the L&A buildings at Whitecraigs and Patterton. Maybe the hut dates from around the same time? Hopefully you may see the smaller one at the Glasgow exhibition in February.
I will post a photo of the painted shed when it is done .

Thanks again
Alex
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

Found the pictures of Muirend, now attached. One has April 1970 on the back, so not quite late 60s.
Taken when 15, with an extremely basic camera, negatives lost and prints have been kicking about and abused for over half a century. One of them has blue spots of paint on it - how did that happen? At least they show the colour of the shed.
Alisdair
Muirend1970c_003.jpg
Muirend1970c_003.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Muirend1970c_001.jpg
Muirend1970c_001.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi Alisdair
That is marvellous thank-you-I did the Red primer earlier so it should be reasonably easy to get that shade-perfect really mild spraying temperature today-so hopefully thoroughly ready to topcoat tomorrow.
Its wonderful finding old photos-I have some around Glasgow in the 1970's - even one of a 20 and some coal wagons going through Giffnock-I guess on its way to the Briquette works at Burnfield-unfortunately film was expensive then
Thanks again
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Allied to this subject, could I draw attention to the photograph of an un-named large, wooden goods shed, posted by 'Victorian Lad' under the heading "Perth to Glasgow Route" today, which clearly shows the livery as burnt umber framing with cinnamon panelling. It's worth a look and I'd be delighted to know where it is.
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

That picture is from an early True Line which had a feature on the standard goods shed. The image shown is in its Caledonian Railway livery. I don't have them to hand but must look when I get home.

John
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

John Duffy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:34 pm That picture is from an early True Line which had a feature on the standard goods shed. The image shown is in its Caledonian Railway livery. I don't have them to hand but must look when I get home.

John
The image is of Lesmahagow. True Line issue 37, P28

John
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

Cambusnethan :

Interested readers will find much of value if they access the ‘National Records of Scotland’ web-site, which can easily be found at : ‘www.nrscotland.co.uk’. Go to ‘research’, then Catalogues and Indexes’, and then type ‘Cambusnethan railway station;’ into the search engine and the following should be revealed :-

RHP 18261 Plan of Cambusnethan railway station – access may vary.

RHP 18262 Plan, section and elevation of Cambusnethan goods shed – access open.

RHP 18263 Plan, section and elevation of gates &signboards at Cambusnethan – access open.

RHP 18264 Plan, section and elevation of oil & coal store, along with covered incline at Cambusnethan – access open.

RHP 18265 Plan, section and elevation of weigh house at Cambusnethan – access open.

RHP 18266 Plan, section and elevation of waiting rooms at Cambusnethan – access open.

RHP 38959 Bound volume of assorted plans relevant to Cambusnethan – access open.

RHP 129188 Plan, section and elevation of subway at Newmains – access open.

The above should be of interest and value to historians of the Caledonian, whilst modellers should be able to construct accurate models for their layout(s) from the above.

Muirend :

I was brought and up and lived in Cathcart most of my life, so my three local stations were : Muirend, Langside and Cathcart. I have strong memories of Muirend goods shed, which remained standing until circa 1985, when it was demolished to make way for retirement housing. I can well recall the two small bollards, which stood at either end of the road ward side of the shed - presumably these were designed/intended to prevent damage to the goods shed by the hub/wheel of a horse and cart. Please see one of the images submitted by ‘Victorian lad’, under ‘Perth to Glasgow route’, which shows a large goods shed with an end bollard clearly visible.

Likewise, I would think that the two lengths of bullhead rail attached at either end of Burrelton goods shed – photo above - would fulfil the same role, or else they may have been designed as strengthening posts. Even to this day, my local Sainsbury’s supermarket has small quarter-bollards – if there is such a term - attached at the ends of some of the aisles to prevent damage by trolleys being badly-steered by customers.

Arnold T.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

The link should be:
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi
Thanks for your very helpful replies -I will have a look at the website as mentioned
Coincidentally my local stations were Giffnock/Whitecraigs and Thornliebank. I can dimly recall the shed at Whitecraigs
I have attached the images of the nearly finished Cambusnethan weigh hut and shed made from plans kindly provided to me by Jim Summers.
These are made for 7mm and when finished we will be illuminating them with LEDs which have proved very effective in recent models.
As they are plastic they are extremely robust. We still have the platforms to make and additional items like guttering and signeage to complete
I will post the completed objects soon ( hopefully)
Regards
Alex
cnweigh hut.jpg
cnweigh hut.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
cnshed.jpg
cnshed.jpg (12.59 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

DSC05262 (02).jpg
DSC05262 (02).jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
When Cyril Freezer visited Scotland to attend the first Glasgow show, he lamented that the stations in Scotland were Chocolate and cream much like on his beloved Western Region. It seems that there was a myth down south that Scottish buildings were painted blue and white. But my recollections are that in the 1950's the darker colour varied from a reddish brown to a darker brown. I presume this was a result of fading. My own interpretation seems to match that of Burrleton Goods shed,
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Violets49 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:19 pm It seems that there was a myth down south that Scottish buildings were painted blue and white.
During the1960's some were.
00 Dunblane SWR 49 (27).JPG
00 Dunblane SWR 49 (27).JPG (114.79 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Dunblane.
Jim W
jasp

Post by jasp »

Great Pic, Jim
Apologies for not having the opportunity to complement you on your 12 wheel coaches at the AGM - exquisite!
Jim P
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Thanks, Jim.
That was a photo I got (I think from John Paton) when I was making the canopies for the Dunallander layout.

Jim W
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

Thats interesting. Never seen a scheme like that. Especially the dark shade of blue. I know some buildings on the East Coast Main Line that were similar to the pale blue/white scheme used by the north Eastern. (Lundin Links for one) but I personally don't recall ever seeing a pale blue/cream structure in Scotland.
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

I wonder if the photo of Dunblane was taken in the 60s. The waste paper bin on the wall looks "modern" to my eyes. (Half a century ago, now.)
I know that there were some more varied colour schemes by the late 70s. Could the photo have been taken then.
Alisdair
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I can't recall whether the photo was from the late '60s or early '70's. I do recall being told that there were a variety of 'pastel shade' colour schemes used around then. Perhaps our station guru, John, will enlighten us.

Jim W
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Hi Jim,

I have been away on holiday so have just joined this thread belatedly.

I think it would be better to start a new thread on station colours, so I'll put my views on this subject separately.

John Paton