Unidentified Station

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Niall Ferguson

Unidentified Station

Post by Niall Ferguson »

This is a print I inherited from the late Peter James. It may well not be a Caledonian location, but most of the prints I was left are. I have posted this on the Railway Identification Group's FB page with no responses. There is nothing written on the print.
Niall
08649 CRASSOC Upload.jpg
08649 CRASSOC Upload.jpg (87.5 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
John Paton

Re: Unidentified Station

Post by John Paton »

Hello Niall,

I bought your new book at Glasgow MRE exhibition yesterday and have had a quick skim through it. Congratulations on a superb effort!

I am certain that this is not a CR station. The brick construction of the main building hints at the NB, but I cant think of an NB location like this. The verandas and building on the right don't look NB at all. I suspect that it is not a Scottish location. There appears to be a station nameboard on the wall behind the head of the man on the left, but even downloading and zooming into the image doesn't help.

Best wishes,

John Paton
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

If it's of any help, I'd hazard a guess that's an L. & Y. station. Perhaps their group could assist?
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

You could well be right, Michael - that style of station valancing seems like L&Y to me, as does the shape of the locomotive's chimney.

Best

Mike
Last edited by MIKEWILLIAMS on Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Following up on the L&Y idea I forwarded the photograph to Noel Coates of the L&Y Railway Society who replied

"Easy one actually Jim. This is shunting at Berry Brow on the (current) Huddersfield to Penistone to Barnsley line, station still open. The loco is very likely to be 859 which was a Barton Wright 0-6-0 supplied in May 1885 so that puts a reasonable date on the photo (the vac pipe obscures some of the numbers on the buffer beam but's likely to be that engine). The station was one with a carving of two locos in a little tableau on the Down line which were taken to the old York Railway Museum no idea where they are now, it's now single track using the Up line. A pilgrimage to the station would be worthwhile because you could incorporate a view of Hawkshaw's incredible Lockwood viaduct 476 yards long with 32 arches and 120 feet high which is just round the corner closer to Huddersfield, some of the finest civil engineering in the country. The stone came from quarries around Berry Brow itself so it all fits in nicely. attached is the view of what was behind the loco photographer."

Jim :D
Attachments
Berry Brow-98434.jpg
Berry Brow-98434.jpg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

If you are making a pilgrimage the current station is 300yds south of this one - a 1980s BR timber and plywood affair, recently extended in fibreglass.
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Many thanks - I cant imagine why Peter James would have such an image in his collection but it is great to know where it is
Niall