Another Unidentified Station

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Niall Ferguson

Another Unidentified Station

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Hi What I think is a Jubilee 4-6-0 at a station which could be Caley judging by the signal finial, but no idea where.
Attachments
0905 CRASSOC Upload.jpg
0905 CRASSOC Upload.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
caley739

Re: Another Unidentified Station

Post by caley739 »

Looks like a Black Five rather than a Jubilee, not that it helps to identify the location.

Tom Robertson
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Sticking my oar in: I don't think that is a Caley signal. It doesn't have a lattice post and the arm doesn't look right. I'd be more inclined to suggest Lancashire & Yorkshire. Also the ground signals don't look like Stevens drop flaps - though they could of course be L.M.S standard types.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I go along with the view that the arm (too short), finial (looks a solid ball), and post (not lattice) do not look Caley.

JimS
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Thanks, I only said it was a Jubilee because when I said it was a Black 5 on another forum I was told it wasn't and it was "obviously" a Jubilee!!!!!!
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Again as L&Y had been suggested I asked Noel Coates. His reply follows:

"Not as easy Jim but I think I've got it, this took a few hours going round all the places I could think of. and eventually it came to me - Burscough Junction looking SW towards Ormskirk. There's a road overbridge behind him which I think the photographer is trying to use to hide the sun from his lens. Not knowing the exact date but it being a Black 5 with express lamps and a mail/bag tender first behind the tender my original thought was a Liverpool Exchange-Glasgow Central express which would join with a Manchester-Glasgow at Preston to go forward as one longer train. The July 1939 Passenger WTT shows an express leaving Exchange at 2.25pm SX but 3.20pm SO (both C402) due Burscough J at 2.40pm, Preston arr 3.01pm - I don't have an equivalent Western Division WTT to check what happened next but it was the way BR did things until all expresses were rerouted to and from Lime Street c.1968/9; another 5 or 6 coaches is about right (roughly the same number from Manchester). Thus the sun's in about the right place for this.
"The tall signal is L&Y as is the 3 doll shunt at the end of the platform, the line on the right was a through siding from Burscough Brick Works about half a mile away, the signal was so tall to allow a Liverpool bound driver sighting as he approached the north end of the station platform. The loco will be coasting in for the stop but the line is on a falling gradient for two miles from Ormskirk average 1 in 200 so easy-peasy work. I would think Bank Hall would have 3 or 4 Black 5s allocated for the expresses, then three a day so a pretty good service - it stretched all the way back to L&Y/LNWR inauguration in the 1890s I think. Certainly a L&Y Direct Services folded leaflet of 1903 shows a 2.25pm train from Liverpool with an 8.35pm arrival at Central, seems pretty good to me - still takes almost 5 hours!"

Jim :D