Guild Street Goods shed, Aberdeen.

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Coronach

Guild Street Goods shed, Aberdeen.

Post by Coronach »

Finally, I'm getting round building a layout after more years than I like to admit.
The idea is a pastiche of the goods yards in Aberdeen with the focus firmly on the main goods shed. This of course is Guild St, firmly in Caley territory.
My own model is inspired by the Eastern half of the shed but I'm finding it difficult to obtain useful images or drawings so far.
A friend who has some basic competence in CAD helped me with the front of the shed, working by eye from the photos we could find to produce a mock up that was printed and placed on foamboard.
I could use a lot more information on the building to help with the actual model though and any assistance is received with gratitude.

Davy.
wsaxt04

Re: Guild Street Goods shed, Aberdeen.

Post by wsaxt04 »

If you go to the web-site of the ‘National records of Scotland’, which can be located at : ‘wwwnrscotland.gov.uk’, go to ‘Catalogues and Indexes’, and then search using ‘Aberdeen Guild Street’ , without any hyphen or comma between ‘Aberdeen’ and ‘Guild Street’. You will find 186 entries – a reasonable number of items. You will need to work your way through these entries to see if any can assist you. A long way around I realise, but there are some interesting drawings and photographs to be checked out.

Regards

Arnold T.
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

Thanks Arnold.
As good a starting point as any.

Davy.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Davy,

Here is a couple of press cutting about the new goods station, which might interest you.

The CRA archives have half dozen or so inside photos of what we believe is Guild St., from lantern slides given to us by Duncan Burton. Contact me by a personal message and I'll see about sending copies, but one is the full spread of the frontispiece in Mike Williams' indispensable Wagons book.

Jim

Below is the news item:
"New Goods Station for Aberdeen

“The specification and schedules relative to the contract for the construction and maintenance of a goods shed, offices, and relative works on the site of the existing goods station at Aberdeen, have been issued.
“The goods shed is to be 320ft in length and 260ft in width, and loading and fish banks have also to be constructed, while the whole of the permanent way is to be lifted and relaid in order to suit the new works. The cost is estimated at between £60,000 and £66,000, and the operations have to be completed by December 31, 1912.” Railway Gazette 21 April 1911 p405

Erection of the new goods station for the Caledonian began on 1st July [1911] “at an estimated cost of £35,000 for the buildings and between £50,000 and £60,000 for the complete scheme. The new buildings will accommodate 120 wagons, and will be adapted to dealt with all classess of traffic, special facilities being provided for dealing with transfer traffic in the most expeditious manner” – [what were these, I wonder?] “The present chief offices in Guild St, which are the old headquarters of the Aberdeen Railway and the Scottish North Eastern Railway Company, will be remodelled and brought into conformity with the new structure”. Railway Gazette 14 July 1911 p41