Unidentified station on FSLS database

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
John Paton

Unidentified station on FSLS database

Post by John Paton »

Having now discovered how to navigate around the FSLS database I was intrigued by this station photo. Obviously an island platform station of Caledonian design, but an un-usually short building. Distinguishing features are the undulating rural surroundings, footbridge in the distance and pole line on the left.
My only suggestion is Drumclog, which fits these features. Extract from 1901 OS and other photos attached. My other suggestions?
Incidentally the posters are "Western Highlands" (Loch Leven + Ballachulish) on the left, and "The Trossachs", both LNER + LMS.

John
Attachments
Drumclog during G+SWR operation.jpg
Drumclog during G+SWR operation.jpg (134.78 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Drumclog 29-4-50 GHR zoom-in.jpg
Drumclog 29-4-50 GHR zoom-in.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Drumclog 1901.jpg
Drumclog 1901.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Unidentified station.jpg
Unidentified station.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
dunalastairv

Re: Unidentified station on FSLS database

Post by dunalastairv »

Am I missing something here? The platform seat in the photograph has 'Drumclog' neatly painted on it and I'm sure this is part of the original image, unlike the crudely painted in GSW engine.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

The confusion here is that the photos do not appear in the order that I posted them. The mystery photo is the one entitled 'unidentified station' - which confusingly appears last - and I uploaded the other photos to explain why I am thining about Drumclog.

John
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Hello John,

I understand now! I don't think there's any doubt that the mystery station is Drumclog. Everything fits and that's actually a very valuable image of a rarely photographed location.
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

‘TTL’ no. 11, Nov.’1985, had a fascinating feature on the Strathven to Darvel line, along with the ‘top’ photograph in John’s submission with the station bench clearly painted as ‘Drumclog’.

The G&SWR train consist of a Stirling rebuild Manson 221 class 0-4-2 + tender locomotive, along with what looks like a rake of 6-wheeled carriages. When these locomotives first appeared under the regime of James Stirling they had round-top cabs and no dome. James Manson rebuilt them with ‘square’ cabs and added a dome. Full details of their history can be found within ‘Locomotives of the G&SWR’ by David L.Smith (David & Charles, 1976).

regards

Arnold T.
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

That's very interesting that the location of CRA82301 is Drumclog. I have updated the description - thank you John.

The photo is one of a series from the family of Thomas Hunter who was a CR employee starting as a goods clerk at Law Junction in 1900 and remained on the railway in a series of more senior posts until retirement in 1950. In that shot he is apparently awaiting the Royal Train, although it is not clear what that would be doing on the Darvel-Strathaven section.

Hunter's career was interesting, and a flavour of it (along with his staff record card) is available in the photo archive by logging in, clicking on "individual records", clicking on "quick find" in the search box at top of browser window above where it says "CRA Archive", entering "CRA82286", and pressing return to see the first image of the set. To see the rest, click on the circle to the left of where it says "Found 1/60778", select "Show all records" from the dropdown, then you can move forward and backward by clicking on the arrow symbols further to the left, or by using keyboard shortcut control+uparrow and control+downarrow. Do not click on the "backwards" arrow next the browser search bar, or you will be thrown out of the FSLS database and have to log in again. The Hunter images end with CRA82301.

The FSLS database user interface is not perfect, but that is acknowledged and discussions are under way on how it might be improved. Meanwhile it keeps the swear boxes of CRA members jingling.

regards
Graham
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Poster gurus might like to see them properly .. ..
John
Attachments
Trossachs 1.JPG
Trossachs 1.JPG (48.18 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Western Highlands 7.jpg
Western Highlands 7.jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Graham R wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:05 pm .... In that shot he is apparently awaiting the Royal Train, although it is not clear what that would be doing on the Darvel-Strathaven section.
Wasn't there an article in TTL a year or so back detailing the use of the Strathaven - Darvel line by the Royal Train? I'm not able to go looking for it at the moment. That would date the photo precisely.

Jim W
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

‘TTL no.150’, Oct.2020, page 11, had the small item from my own hand re. stabling of the Royal train at Drumclog overnight on 3rd – 4th May 1938. This was in the aftermath of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth formally opening the Empire Exhibition in Glasgow. Although the Exhibition was held in the nearby Bellahouston Park, the formal opening had been undertaken from within the football stadium. The information had been extracted by myself from ‘The Glasgow Herald’, so, sad to say, there were no photographs to accompany the piece. The latter had been generated in response to
Fred Landery’s article within ‘TTL no.149, pages 26-28, and the related item re. ‘The Cotcastle Agreement’, pages 29-30 of same issue.

Both the railways of Lanarkshire, along with its extensive coal and mineral trade, and the Strathven – Darvel section, or the Darvel – Strathven line as the G&SWR knew it as, have received extensive treatment within ‘TTL’ and the former ‘ Caledonian Journal’ over the past forty years or so. I am afraid that much searching through our back issues would therefore be required for more information.

Good hunting!!
Arnold T.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Thanks, Arnold. I was sure I hadn't imagined it! As it happens, I drove down that way today en route to friends in Dundonald and there is still a lot of the solum still visible.

Jim W