Use of Water Tower Bases

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Alisdair

Use of Water Tower Bases

Post by Alisdair »

Jim Watt and I have been discussing the use of water tower bases on the Caley for more than just the housing of valves and creating elevation for the tanks. It hinges around the fact that Forfar had four very large arch topped windows in the tower suggesting two storeys. Were there offices within the tower base, which would warrant such provision?
Interestingly, although possible not Caley, the water tower on the FSLS database at entry CRA16243 shows a tower with a balcony outside a window and another window with the top part dropped, with both windows have different glazing arrangements.
Alisdair
dunalastairv

Re: Use of Water Tower Bases

Post by dunalastairv »

I am sure some of them contained pumping plant for drawing the water from source to the tank above, and this machinery could be quite extensive. There would also be provision for warming the tank in winter to prevent the water from freezing, so coal space would be needed for example.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

According to the LMS sheds book some sheds had other accommodation under the tank, e.g. stores and in the case of Dalry Road, the mess room. At Hamilton the tank was on top of the coaling shed.

Jim W
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

In issue One of the now defunct 'LMS Journal', Cyril Breeze former stationmaster at Garsdale on the long Drag, in part two of his article 'The Station Master' told of how the base of the water tank functioned as a sort of social club with whist and domino drives and other similar events were held there. I wonder if any such things happened on the more remote parts of the Caley system?
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Here is the water tower base - and the water tank itself - at Kentallen, in use as a garden ornament.
Attachments
Kentallen water tower.jpg
Kentallen water tower.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Not really relevant, I concede, but I have attended meetings in the office below the water tank at Drogheda on the Iarnrod Eireann line from Dublin to Belfast.

Jim S