Crear McCartney

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Jim Summers

Crear McCartney

Post by Jim Summers »

In the recent thread on identifying signalboxes, the name of Crear McCartney came up, and Graham drew our attention to the obituary in the Herald some time ago :
https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/ ... s-artists/

It is well worth reading about how remarkable a man Crear McCartney was, but it occurred to me that there may be members of the Forum who were not buying "Railway Modeller" in the spring of 1970 and might not know the name.

The series in the Todeller on the buildings of the Caledonian, by our Honorary President George Russell and Crear McCartney was seminal, and we owe both men so much.

So I attach Part 111, in which the draughtsmanship of Crear is a delight. I am sure Railway Modeller will not mind me disseminating this, because if you don't have the relevant magazines, go search for copies.

Jim
GAR-CMc Part 3.1 RM 1970 reduced.jpg
GAR-CMc Part 3.1 RM 1970 reduced.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
GAR-CMc Part 3.2 RM 1970 reduced .jpg
GAR-CMc Part 3.2 RM 1970 reduced .jpg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
GAR-CMc Part 13.3 RM 1970 reduced ..jpg
GAR-CMc Part 13.3 RM 1970 reduced ..jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
caleyJim

Re: Crear McCartney

Post by caleyJim »

This was built in card many years ago from those very drawings. Must fix that downpipe!

Jim :D
Attachments
CR_goods_shed.jpg
CR_goods_shed.jpg (98.79 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Our church, Cairngryffe Kirk in Carmichael, has one of his stained glass windows http://www.cairngryffekirk.org.uk/warnock_window.htm commissioned by a local farmer and his wife to commemorate their Golden Wedding and 50 years farming in the area.

Jim W (resident of Biggar)
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Here is Crear's beautiful drawings and model of Kelvinbridge SB from the September 1964 Railway Modeller. Unfortunately I only have a photocopy.
Attachments
Kelvinbridge SB 2.jpg
Kelvinbridge SB 2.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Kelvinbridge SB 1.jpg
Kelvinbridge SB 1.jpg (117.83 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

sorry to hear of Crear McCartney's passing. Those articles by Crear and George and of course, Auchinraith and Canderside in September 1967 led me to understand that you didn't HAVE to model the GWR. Crear's drawings have proved invaluable to me and many a station building had its origins in Crear's drawing of Lesmahagow. Sadly, I don't recall seeing a tribute in the 'Modeller'.

Jane.