Line Diagrams

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Jim Summers

Line Diagrams

Post by Jim Summers »

My attention has been drawn to the sale of Line Diagrams for certain sections of the Caledonian network, which are being offered on Ebay. The starting price is £24.95.

Be aware that this appears to be an unscrupulous attempt to exploit buyers by selling material which is in fact from our own True Line. The words in the document on offer are the copyright of our own John Paton and The True Line, so do not encourage this abuse.

We hold some of the originals for viewing in our own Archives in Thurso Street, and my book Operating the Caledonian Railway Vol. Two explains them and their use in timetabling.

These line diagrams are of course fascinating, and really no Caledonian-lover should be without them. If you don't already have issues 35 - 43, which contain the diagrams of track layout for the ex-Caledonian system immediately after Grouping, then I suggest you obtain our collections on CD of our volumes of The True Line at a very reasonable price - see our webshop at https://www.crassoc.org.uk/web/shopTTL

And spare a spot of sympathy for anyone who falls for the Ebay offer and could have got far, far more for far, far less, by purchasing our collated volumes of back numbers.

Caveat emptor, as they would say in the bothy at Polmadie.

Jim S
lindsay_g

Re: Line Diagrams

Post by lindsay_g »

All of the items that form the basis of this eBay sale may have been picked up from CRA sources and passed on in this sale. Does John P or the CRA have the copyright to challenge the sale on eBay? You can do so if that is the case.

From where I am sitting as a fairly experienced seller and buyer on eBay, I'm wondering what is wrong in overall terms (not a CRA perspective obviously). The seller certainly doesn't appear to be "unscupulous" as he/she/they have over 32,000 feedbacks - all of which are positive - and if you drill down further has made 76,000 sales and has 1500 followers. My take is that an item has been picked up by the seller and put up for sale - the selling price being well over-inflated but that is up to the buyer.

Lindsay
Last edited by lindsay_g on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Would tend to agree with Lindsay. While obviously it would be better if the CRA were to make a sale, if someone is willing to pay the asking price then so be it.

Jim :D
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

My view is that it depends on what is being sold. The images up to the one with ‘page 37’ at the footer are pages from the True Line (parts of my series of articles which started in True Line 35). If he is selling pages cut from these issues, I see that being no different to selling the original magazines – which we obviously cannot stop. If however, he is selling photocopies or prints made from pages of the True Line (which include my titles and some commentary), I would have thought that he is in breach of copyright, even if the line diagram images within these pages are themselves out of copyright.

John
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Following up from John's post, obviously my remarks only apply to original material. Sale of any form of copy would be in breach of both John's and the CRA's copyright.

Jim :D