Caley 7mm Group

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
alex mcausland

Caley 7mm Group

Post by alex mcausland »

We have recently established a little group on "whatsapp" to discuss/show/help and share ideas on all aspects of modelling the Caley from 1845 to the present day.
It doesn't matter if you don't model in 7mm or you haven't got a layout. Items can also be generic-perhaps someone can point me(!) in the right direction with Templot.

If you are interested just join us-all you need is a "whatsapp" account
It is easy to download photos and videos and share these with everyone else.
If you want to join us -and can't work out how just PM me and I will ask someone else who knows how.
Alex
dalziel

Re: Caley 7mm Group

Post by dalziel »

Hi Alec,
As a 7mm Caley modeller i would certainly be interested, but is there any other way of accessing this other than by Whats Aopp, (whatever that is) As an octogenarian luddite I have no interest in and don't want anything to do with social media thingies.

Regards,
David Gallacher
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi David
I am afraid not!
As a sexagenarian of a similar persuasion I know of no other way. You would need a whatsapp account-I got my daughter to set it up and a local group of us have used it for a while.
It is a good way to share photos and even videos and I suggested this largely because I haven't a clue as to how to add photos to the Forum.
I had proposed an e newsletter but there was no real interest within the CRA. I recently rejoined the Guild after some years in the wilderness and am currently trying to get my head around Templot as my stud of Heljan diesels have battered my Peco points to death!

I don't know whether you have seen it but John Emmerson publishes "Lineside Look" as an E newsletter and I get that once a quarter by e-mail. It is pretty good-and it is fairly witty and on the ball.
My son in law and I are setting up a little venture in O gauge 3D buildings (which is really way above my pay grade).
I think we will establish a little blog on that in the fullness of time-I can let you know if that happens.

Regards
Alex
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I too am confused about "Whatsapp" and don't want to go down that road - don't ask me why - must be an Age thing !
Again returning to the "promotion" of Gauge O Modelling - 7mm - should this be not covered in The True Line, and not a few words, but a Full "Glossy" Page on where the CRA is going in Modelling.

Perhaps we could collaborate with The Gauge O Guild Magazine and promote the Caledonian Railway Association at the same time.

David Blevins.
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi David.
There are now at least 3 new ventures in 3d printing.(not including TLM)
It is an exciting time to be a modeller(never thought I would say that)

Whatsapp is a sort of blog I guess.(a"blog" being rumination on a theme- this time from multiple participants)
Maybe Sinclair can think of a way of including something like that on the CRA webpage?.
I can confidently say that people are interested in this but whatsapp does put some off-which I can understand.It is however -also a way of spreading the word to a wider non-CRA community.

Perhaps a brand new 3d printing/commercial modelling section on the board index? Or a layout feature in a brand new" modelling" section
People love to show their layouts.

The reason I would advocate a commercial modelling section on the board index is simple.3D printing includes all practical gauges not just 7mm.
We have already produced a 4mm water tower for Atkitz (our little venture)which will only be available from the CRA-as we are concentrating our efforts in 7mm.We won't actually launch Atkitz until September. If you let me have a email address I can show you what has been done so far?

Turning to the Guild-the way ahead with that is probably product reviews including acknowledging the support of the CRA and maybe a more in depth relaunch of TLM.
Its worth mentioning (en passant) that no one will make a fortune out of these ventures-I certainly don't expect to get our base costs back!
Feel free to pm me to discuss further
Regards
Alex
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Alex,

I echo some of the comments above. I model, though not yet actually produced anything Caledonian, I don't model in 7mm any more but, as your first post said, that's not important as many things cut across scale. However, I don't have a smartphone and, so far as I am aware, cannot therefore use Whatsapp. I use a laptop.

Sorry - just adding to that, a number of scale societies now have libraries of files for printing and/or cutting whereas, in my opinion, the subject matter is far more important than the scale. Therefore I'd very much support you idea of a section, much like the cutting present one for silhouette cutter files.

Mike
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Thanks Mike
Lets see how many people might like to do this-or indeed whether anyone has an alternative to Whatsapp?
We need something that everyone within CRA can participate in-regardless of scale or period.

I like seeing what other folk build.
It can be very inspiring
Alex
lms14509

Post by lms14509 »

Hopefully not stating the obvious, but there is a Caledonian Railway Goup on Facebook, as well as O Gauge and Scottish Modellers groups.If folk are adverse to more technology,these might work?
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi
Like many folk who are put off by WhatsApp I am put off by Facebook!
There are many groups all over the place employing different methods of communication-but essentially this was set up as it was reasonably simple.
Unfortunately whilst a smartphone has many advantages-it can be an intrusive and expensive piece of kit.
It will ultimately only work well -if people are prepared to post items on it.
There is also no substitute for face to face contact
Alex