CRA Depot - PopUp

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
iain@iainross.biz

CRA Depot - PopUp

Post by iain@iainross.biz »

I noted in the latest The True Line the article on the part laser cut Ferryhill wagon shop. It may be of interest that I am currently working on a potential PopUp kit of the Grangemouth Depot (with some, as yet undecided, options). This will be the usual PopUp kit in 3mm Ply (OO Gauge) with the potential for a 50% N Gauge in 1.5mm ply.
I will keep this posted updated as the design progresses. Any comments welcomed.
Regards
IAIN
iain@iainross.biz

Re: CRA Depot - PopUp

I attach a render of the kit from my CAD model. Still a bit of work to do before it is ready to laser cut the prototype. However I should appreciate any comments or interest. For example would there be any interest in a kit of just the repair shed (with water tank).
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
IAIN
Attachments
Grangemouth Depot.jpg
Grangemouth Depot.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

This looks good, Iain, and I will have a closer look, as Grangemouth was my home town, and I have some photos, if you wish to see them.

What period are you aiming at, as the ventilators changed to your style in later years.

Jim
BrianSmith

Post by BrianSmith »

That looks good. Here is a link to Falkirk MRC ‘Grangemouth’ exhibition layout. https://falkirkmrc.com/our-layouts/grangemouth/

Brian Smith.
iain@iainross.biz

Brian, Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. The layout looks terrific - I note the ventilator style on the model. I am struggling to get a generic look that will suit most modellers and allow them to use a base kit and alter to the era they are aiming for. I hope the kit can attract sales for PopUp and be suitable for other depots in other locations in the region. Always difficult as nothing stays the same and even the builds can differ from original drawings. I hope I can get a lowest common denominator for the kit.
If you think the earlier ventilator version would be more generic then I can alter to suit at this stage before committing to layout of the kit for laser cutting and prototyping.
Any advice is most welcome.
I am currently trying to cut the model such that it will fit onto A4 sheets for laser cutting and also to allow the kit to be built with 4 tracks and expandable in sets of additional 2 tracks in the hope that it will make it more popular.
Thanks and regards
Iain