Plans and Planning

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
John Duffy

Plans and Planning

Post by John Duffy »

Napoleón once stated that no plan last longer the first engagement with the enemy. In my case the enemy is the near complete lack of trade support for 7mm Caledonian modelling so I’m afraid my previous planned layout will not now progress.

However thanks to the fact that I had a previously squirrelled away 439 kit - bought long before the current range was abducted by aliens - means I have the choice between putting it permanently in my display case or creating a tiny project for it. Well there is only one winner there, so I made myself these yesterday -

IMG_9013.jpeg
IMG_9013.jpeg (205.1 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Now to figure out what to do with them.

John
alex mcausland

Re: Plans and Planning

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi
Trade support for O is better today than it ever has been!
I think there are various avenues available I know that signals and boxes are readily available to butcher creatively. Early slaters MR 8 and 10 ton wagons can be customised I suspect-although personally its not my scene. The underframes and van bodies can't be far off.
I think Ian Kirks LMS and LNER coaches would also customise nicely if you had a specific prototype in mind

I have suggested to others in the CRA that a7mm group would be good maybe on whatsapp -but the overall interest seems predominately P4 ,

I think most of the raw materials are there if folk share ideas
If that's something that you or anyone else might like to do then let me know and we can set something uo on Whatsapp? (or my daughter can!)

My own layout is dominated by Heljan diesels especially the latest BRCW ones with suitable MK1s.
I wouldn't give up on a purely Caley Model-although there has to be a degree of compromise-so I run my model of 123 with a maroon CK and BSK
One day I will get the correct coaches but in the meantime upgrading power supplies/ point motors/installing Markway turnouts and ripping out all the old bulbs with LEDs has taken some priority..............and it really is surprising
Still -soon be winter .
I would like some timber wagons to go with my blue class 27 and someone has already sent me a plan............

Alex.
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

I think, if you read my post Alex, I said "trade support for 7mm Caledonian modelling". Not a single item you mentioned is relevant to the CR era. We currently have the main supplier absent without leave and no idea when or if he will return, so it is certainly not better than it has ever been.

There are of course some parts available but until our primary source returns my project will definitely be remaining on the back burner.

John
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

If anyone wants the plywood point sleepers, these are available in;

7mm - made from 3mm plywood
4mm - made from 1.5mm plywood

I also have 32' sleeper panels for plain track available.

DM for details

John
alex mcausland

Post by alex mcausland »

Hi John
If you look at the description on the Board Index the title of this section includes these words" How to do it, advice offered etc "
My comments on this occasion (designed to be helpful) are therefore not incorrect.
I have no idea as to the identity of the supplier you are referring to.
Good luck with your project.
Alex
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

I had a bit of spare time today so set the laser off making some plain track panels. For curves I simply cut away the tags on one side and this allows more than enough flex to provide alignment whilst it also maintains the sleeper spacing.

IMG_9679.jpeg
IMG_9679.jpeg (307.94 KiB) Viewed 762 times
It's way too cold in the attic at the moment so these won't be deployed until I can get a board down.

I think I have come to terms with the fact that we will never see Alba Models again and am now considering ways to work around that problem.

Freight stock is not a problem. I have previously made myself these as kits;

IMG_8396.jpeg
IMG_8396.jpeg (160.51 KiB) Viewed 762 times
I have done another set of ironwork that can produce the end door type. Once these are done, I have some others wagon types in the pipeline.

Track laying can go ahead and buildings of course can be done. Coaching stock is the main focus now and trying to figure out how I might be able to speed up the scratch building process. This period of more thinking and less doing, might actually have been helpful. We shall see.

Plans, planning and some snails paced progress.

John
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Very nice items. Doesn't seem as if you need Alba.

Lindsay
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

lindsay_g wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:22 pm Very nice items. Doesn't seem as if you need Alba.

Lindsay
You're right Lindsay.

Will be light on motive power and I really don't fancy the idea of scratchbuilding a loco, but if it comes to it.....
David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe »

John Duffy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:55 am Will be light on motive power and I really don't fancy the idea of scratchbuilding a loco, but if it comes to it.....
I look forward to seeing you do that at our monthly workshops. We've got someone there who I'm sure can speed you up!

DT