Dunalastair in 7mm scale - O gauge from an Ace Products kit

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
AngusB

Dunalastair in 7mm scale - O gauge from an Ace Products kit

Post by AngusB »

I have recently begun construction of an 0 Gauge model of a 721 class loco, using an Ace Products kit. O Gauge enthusiast members will no doubt have seen this kit advertised over quite a long period in the Gauge O Guild Gazette. I'm making progress with the model but have to admit that although I have long experience of kit building in etched brass, this one is proving to be quite a struggle ! Has anyone out there some experience with this kit and would be willing to share the wisdom ?

I'm currently working on the loco 'body', now making a second attempt at the driving wheel and coupling rod splashers and finding that I need to cut new parts from brass sheet to significantly different shapes from those provided in the etches. Would be happy to share photos in follow up posts if anyone is interested in pursuing this thread.
P1000400.jpeg
P1000400.jpeg (364.95 KiB) Viewed 229 times
John Duffy

Re: Dunalastair in 7mm scale - O gauge from an Ace Products kit

Post by John Duffy »

Unfortunately I cannot offer any experience or advice on this kit, but I will watch with interest.

Good luck

John
dalziel

Re: Dunalastair in 7mm scale - O gauge from an Ace Products kit

Post by dalziel »

Hi Angus,
I have one of these currently under construction. Have you fixed the boiler to the footplate, there are (or should be in the kit) two shaped pieces which fill the space between the cab front and the rear of the front splasher and the bottom of the firebox has to be trimmed to sit on this and the top of the splashers otherwise there will be conflict between the bottom of firebox sides and the frames. Forming the filler parts is not that easy and getting the firebox to shape is just as awkward, I have not quite got to cutting the bottom of the firebox stage but intend to make a card template and cut slowly! I will dig out my model as far as it has got and post a photo of the filler piece between the splashers.
Regards,
David Gallacher