900 class tender frame colour

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
jimwatt2mm

900 class tender frame colour

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I'm currently at the stage of painting my 900 Class (in the later light blue) and am unsure as to the colour of the tender frames, i.e. the part inboard of the valences and behind the equalising beams on the bogies. Was this black or lake? :?

Jim
jimwatt2mm

Re: 900 class tender frame colour

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I think I have now answered my own question. Studying photos I can convince myself that there is a white line close to the lower edge of the frame, which indicates that they were in lake with a black edge lined white, which is what I've gone with.

Jim
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

That's the conclusion I came to when finishing off my building of my Caley Coaches kit last year. I also painted the equalizing beams lake too.

Cheers

John
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

John Lindsay wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:40 pm That's the conclusion I came to when finishing off my building of my Caley Coaches kit last year. I also painted the equalizing beams lake too.
Glad someone agrees! Yes, I had gathered that the equalising beams were lake, as were the spring shackles and the axlebox faces, but the springs and axleboxes were otherwise black.

Almost finished the lining, then to do the lettering etc. It's a slow business!

Jim
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

The loco has now emerged from the paint shop in (my rendition of) the light blue livery. The finish can only be described as being on the 'very nearly' side of acceptable! One side is marginally worse than the other.
RHS web.JPG
RHS web.JPG (232.58 KiB) Viewed 177 times
LHS web.JPG
LHS web.JPG (258.41 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Details of the build can be seen at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/18 ... ir-iii/and there is also a video of it running at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5C6y1-RII .

Jim W
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

Snap Jim!

Mine's in 4mm scale, but how you turn out such excellent results in 2mm continues to amaze me - and that's without more than half the job being done for you by Mr Smellie's excellent kits!

By the way, does anyone know where to get white lining for bogie wheels?

Cheers

John
Attachments
Class 900.jpg
Class 900.jpg (243.77 KiB) Viewed 144 times