Caledonian Railway Staff List

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
David Blevins

Caledonian Railway Staff List

Post by David Blevins »

I have Updated the Caledonian Railway Staff List, which is due to be published or made available on the CRA Forum very soon, we now have 17,350 entries for all Grades of Railway employees. Not a complete list, as the original CR Co. Records were damaged many years ago by careless storage, water damage, and then criminally "thrown out" probably in the BR era, some Records still exist in Edinburgh, but there are large gaps.
The CRA Committee, received a Volunteer about 10 Years ago - ME, and they decided to put together a List of names, after many enquiries on "My Great Grandfather" from relatives who had done Research on their Family History. So starting from one Enquiry, and a lot of Research, we have in this Year of 2021 reached 17,350 entries.
A recent Enquiry from a New member, David Forsyth, volunteering Information on his Family Research into Fauldhouse, West Lothian - opened up a New Source of Information from The Valuation Rolls of Scotland.
The Valuation Roll usually only listed the Station Master but upon further Research it seems the Caledonian Railway owned considerable Property, which is quite extensive in places such as Motherwell, Carstairs, Coatbridge, including Fauldhouse, and many others, which includes all Railway trades as well as Drivers, and Firemen and Guards.
It would be Good to share this Information, and so I am passing this on - it can be found under Scotlands People on the Internet, mostly for individual research of Family Members, Census, Marriages, Births, Deaths. If you put in "Caledonian Railway" in Valuation Rolls it lists all the Property owned by the Caley, a few hiccups easily solved as they tend to be listed under Scottish County Names and Parishes. Here are a few "Dalziel" which includes Motherwell, "Old Monkland" for Coatbridge, "Barony" for outside of Glasgow City but is Glasgow nowadays, and many more almost forgotten names.
So if any of you want to continue Research, please do, and forwarding any details you come across no matter how small, every name counts in building up a picture of Railway Life, and would Aid the CRA to continue to Update The Caledonian Railway Staff List.
David Blevins.
Sinclair

Re: Caledonian Railway Staff List

Post by Sinclair »

The updated lists is now available on the website here.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

An Updated Caledonian Railway Staff List will soon be available on the CRA Website.
It has increased considerably, with 22,225 entries, with Information from relatives on their Great Great Grandfather - which we greatly appreciate in receiving Family Research from individuals.
The other source was the Scottish Valuation of Property Lists in Scotland.
I had concentrated on the Years 1895 and 1915 for Caledonian Railway owned Houses, Cottages, etc., from Aberdeen in the North to Kirkpatrick, near the Scottish Border, not forgetting the Callander & Oban Railway and the Killin Railway to the West.
This became a bit of an Obsession, many long Hours typing up names and places, and included the Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
Not just stopping there with a good representation of the CR Railway in 1895 and 1915, I went on and included 1885, 1905 and 1920, so then we now have a fair Record of Caledonian Railway Staff staying in CR owned Property from 1885 to 1920. A few patchy records for 1875 were found, mostly relating to Motherwell Shed Housing and have also been included.
Like most Recording of Historical details, there could be some omissions or mis-reading of hand written documents, which should be corrected through time and perseverance.
As I said originally the CRA website will be updated in due course with a "New" Caledonian Railway Staff List.

Awaiting another revelation of a source of Caledonian Railway Staff.

David Blevins.
Last edited by David Blevins on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

A "Revelation" has occurred regarding a New source of Information from one of our Members, Eoin Rennie, who has been working independently on a Research Project of his, on Alloa Junction.
He has kindly forwarded a List of over 1,000 new names of Caledonian Railway Staff from all over Scotland, from sources such as British Newspaper Archive, ASRS Legal Records, and Quarterly Returns of Accidents from the Board of Trade.
So, now working my way through this fascinating list, sometimes having to pause to steady my nerves, reading about Deaths to 14 year olds and 16 year old teenagers working in very dangerous jobs with no supervision is harrowing.
Perhaps our view of the "Wonderful" Caledonian Railway with it's Blue Engines and sleek Carriages has to be tempered with an image of the actual day to day working conditions in all weathers for Caledonian Railway Staff.
Enough, of my morbid thoughts, and a big Thank You to Eoin Rennie for his large piece of Research he has forwarded to us.

Anymore Research from CRA Members, or the Public, is very gratefully received, even one name is another memory of someone not forgotten.

David Blevins.
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

David
Whilst going through the National Newspaper Archive for information on my book on the Dundee & Arbroath Railway I have been noting staff information that I have come across (usually retirement presentations or obituaries) They are very disorganised at the moment, but it is my intention to put them into some sort of table and let you have them - but don't hold your breath!
Niall
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Niall,
I will look forward to receiving your "table" for the Dundee & Arbroath Railway Staff, that was one area difficult to pin down CR Staff from the Scottish Valuation of property List, so there are a few gaps in my research, which I would appreciate more Information from yourself, or others, for that area of Scotland.
I have added more names from the BOT Accidents from the 1870's along with Eoin Rennie's large piece of Research, now over 24,000 entries and climbing.
David Blevins.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

The Caledonian Railway Staff List has now reached 25,062 entries.
So once again, a Big Thank You, to everyone who has contributed, from Members of the Public to the CRA members, we have achieved quite a successful mission, which will be of Interest to future Historians and Researchers.
Again I appeal to everyone, if you have any Information on former employees of the Caledonian Railway, including it's successor the LMS Railway, I would be pleased to hear from you, and can add their names to the CR Staff List.

This will be Updated on the Caledonian Railway Association website in due course.

David Blevins
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Is there any way of ascertaining whether anyone designated as a Guard was a passenger or goods guard? Some entries mention the word passenger, others are from way bills (but can these be goods carried by either?), some from Edinburgh mention west or north runs.

I tried to look up 2 guards that appeared on Goods Brake vans (J Bruce, Buchanan St, and T Shepherd, Dundee Goods West) on the Staff List jut to see if their entries might provide some indication, but neither of them appear on the list.

Lindsay
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Goods Guards were names as "Brakesmen" in Caley Days.
The "General Parcels Way-Bills" are for Guards on Passenger Trains.

David Blevins.
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Thanks for that info, David. The term Brakesman is new to me (or my memory might just be letting me down again).

Unless I missed some entries (having scanned thru' looking for staff working from Edinburgh) I didn't come across any recorded Brakesmen located in Edinburgh - but having just done a brief scan looking for Brakesman I can see there's a number of entries at other locations. Oh well, I thought it might be nearing historical integrity if I added some real names to several brake vans that I hope to complete shortly. I'll just have to let my imagination run rampant instead!

Lindsay
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I have done a bit more Research into the title of Brakesman.
It was still being used in 1915 and 1920 by the Staff when listing their jobs, in the Valuation Rolls (type of census) for rented property, etc., obviously the "Goods Guard" looked on himself as a Brakesman.
The Rule Book for 1885 quotes Guards, Brakesmen and Shunters but by 1906 the Rule Book has Passenger & Goods Guards.
Some change in "Job Title" must have taken place, perhaps complying with Union or Board of Trade pressures.
David Blevins.
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

In an accident report for 1920 at Bankend Colliery, the term "brakesman" was used. After the Grouping, it seems that both passenger and goods employees were called "guard"

Best

Mike
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

A friend of mine doing some research in Broughton Cemetery has come across this headstone :-
1658331122185.jpg
1658331122185.jpg (137.12 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
I have passed the information to David as it would appear to be a new entry.

A search on Scotland's People brought up both his marriage and death records, but as I don't have any 'credits' with them I am unable to see the certificates. No birth certificate was found.

The question we have is why, when he lived in Cathcart, was he buried in Broughton?

Jim W
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Maybe an auditor had made enemies in Glasgow suburban booking offices . . . .

JImS
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Seeing this reminded me that I really ought to add three more pieces of information, gleaned from presentations to C.R. staff as follows:

A gold-plated pocket watch: "Presented to Mr. John Girdwood by his colleagues on his retiral from the Caledonian Railway Company, July 1916."
A wooden mantle clock: "Presented to Mr. James Scott by the Eglinton Street staff on the occasion of his marriage, April 22nd. 1921."
A walking stick: "Presented to Mr. James Livingstone by his fellow employees and friends on retiral from the Caledonian Railway, after 50 years of service, Stirling, 10.11.1903."

I'll add more if things appear.

Michael Dunn.
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

On people being buried miles from home, I notice on my walks through Tynemouth Cemetery (north of the River Tyne) that there are several, maybe dozens, of memorials to people who are stated to have lived south of the river in the 19th century. The Tyne represents a major cultural barrier, so it does puzzle me. The 50 miles between Cathcart and Broughton is a much longer journey. Maybe folks died in the place where they are buried. Being brought up in a funeral director's house in the 50s and 60s, I had a strong sense of how costly it was for a body to be moved many miles or across a river at a time when much expense was already being absorbed in the funereal process. Maybe it was just convenient and thrifty at the time.
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

Perhaps it was as a result of the deceased's wish to be buried in the place of their youth. (The wish having been determined by the deceased prior to death, rather than by means of a Ouija board...) There is a short story by RB Cunningham Graham called "Beattock for Moffat" which tells the story of a dying man trying to make it back to Moffat from his home in London written in the early years of the last century.
Alisdair
Orraman

Post by Orraman »

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Scotsman article has pictures from the CR "Vigilance" booklet too.

Best

Mike
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Well, well, I was talking to Alistair Dalton of the Scotsman just yesterday (about Glasgow Central LL), but he never mentioned this.
We of course have the Vigilance Book in our archives, and my understanding is that the LMS made use of some Caley photos in their accident prevention book.

JimS
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

We have now reached 27,023 entries in the CALEDONIAN RAILWAY STAFF LIST.
So once again a big Thank You to the many contributors, both CRA Members and the Public out there, who have supplied Names through Family Research. Every individual name and date provides a History of the people who ran The Caledonian Railway, and preserves their Name and place in the History of Scotland's Railways.

The Caledonian Railway Staff List will be updated very soon on the CRA website.

David Blevins.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

A Very enjoyable week-end at Glasgow Model Rail 2023 on the Caledonian Railway Association Stand.
Met a lot of Members, the Public, and "New" members enquiring about Relatives on the Caledonian Railway. These will be followed up as soons as possible, and I will get back to you, hopefully with the answers you are looking for.
A very Interesting and rewarding experience, with possible new leads and Information for the "Caledonian Railway Staff List".

David Blevins.
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

I expect this is well known, but the National Archive have "UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956" which can be accessed via Ancestry website and maybe other genealogy site too? But it helps a lot if you have the name as I've not found a way to just browse them. For instance, searching for "Caledonian" and "Dundee" doesn't find the Guard mentioned earlier in this thread but does come back with 19 names.

Mike
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

We have a "NEW" Caledonian Railway Staff List, which now has 29,127 entries.

We have had numerous Enquiries and People offering Family Research into distant Relatives who worked on the Caledonian Railway from all parts of the World. Recent e-mails from Australia enquiring about a relative who lost his life at Ecclefechan, an Engine Driver from Glasgow; and an offer of Family Research from Canada of a Relative injured at Kilbowie, opened up new Fields of Information which I have explored.
This Family Research has beed added to the List and the new sources they discovered and Informed us of, are very Helpful in Expanding our List of People who worked on the Caledonian Railway.
The CR Staff List seems to continue to grow, especially it is now available through the Internet and the CRA Website, new Enquiries and Family Research from around the World asking about the "Auld Country" and the Caledonian Railway are Very Welcome, and Gratefully Received.

The Caledonian Railway Staff List will be "Updated" on the Website very soon.

David Blevins.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

We have a "New" Caledonian Railway Staff List, which now contains 30,353 entries which will be Updated on the Official CRA Website very soon.

David Blevins.