A uniform mystery

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Jim Summers

A uniform mystery

Post by Jim Summers »

The attached photo was handed in during the Glasgow show because of the unusual numbers shown on the lapels of this proud Caley man, though not shown in his working environment. They probably show his identification as a porter or they may be related to work on the goods side (a man in charge a horse delivery dray to comply with city rules somewhere. The four digit number implies there were a lot of such people, or, less likely, there was a coding in the numbers.

Can anyone shed any light on the location, the numbers themselves, or on any photo of a comparable uniform?

JimS
Uniform lapel badges reduced , .jpg
Uniform lapel badges reduced , .jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
dunalastairv

Re: A uniform mystery

Post by dunalastairv »

Good morning, Jim,

I had to laugh when I saw this as I'd come across it on E-bay, USA, as a CDV card, but decided the asking price - about £55 - was just too expensive. I'm glad you've been able to acquire it for the archives anyway. Several of the people in the staff section of my new book are wearing uniforms with this C.R. oval and a number on the lapel and I suspect that in this era the Caley were giving employees numbers in much the same way the Police did, which could be used in reports. I can tell you this is an early style: the staff in the boiler explosion pictures at Bridge of Dun in 1872 are wearing them, but by the turn of the century the design seems to have been superseded. The other unusual thing about your picture is the cap, with its individual 'C' and 'R' letters sewn on separately. That is a design I haven't come across before. I know David Lochrie made a detailed study of C.R. uniforms and I wonder if he can shed any further light?

Mike.
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Can anyone read the 4 digit number?

Mike
JimG

Post by JimG »

577x

JimG