Station colours 1950s and early 60s

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
John Paton

Station colours 1950s and early 60s

Post by John Paton »

I have started this topic as a continuation of a threat which started under Cambusnethan Goods Shed and developed into a discussion on the colours that wooden stations were painted in the 1950s and early 60s. My views on this subject are as follows, and I'd welcome dissent / discussion.
Stations inherited from the LMS by British Railways Scottish Region usually were painted brown (milk-chocolate brown) and cream (almost fawn). See photo 1 of Comrie in this colour scheme. Sometimes the LMS painted the window woodwork brown -as shown here - but sometimes cream.
In the early 1950s BR started painting stations in brown (a darker, plain-chocolate colour than the LMS) and cream (a lighter cream than the LMS). The difference can be seen in photo 2 of Madderty where the main building retains its LMS colours and the more recent BR shed shed in the foreground is in the BR colours. Photo 3 shows newly-painted Callander, and photo 4 the same station with an occasional variation - grey-blue valancing. This can also be seen in photo 5 of Greenhill Lower.
There were two exceptions to this. In the early 50s BR painted many stations on the Callander & Oban line light blue instead of brown, and cream. These were all station except Callander, Balquhidder, Killin and Oban (each of which were painted brown and cream). Examples of the blue and cream colour are photo 6 Connel Ferry and photo 7 Loch Awe. The latter photo was taken when the station was being repainted pink (see my article in True Line 96) -see the CR signs about to be junked, and the fountain beyond the building.
The other exception was stations in the Aberdeen area where most were repainted green and cream. This was the livery latterly used by the LNER. See example photo 8 Stonehaven, and 9 Portknockie on the GNSR. Some stations in this area however got the brown and cream livery.
Around 1960 there seems to have been a lessening of corporate culture and other colour schemes appeared. this may have been instigated by the Glasgow North Suburban electrification where a dark-blue and white scheme was applied, with yellow doors with a blue stripe across their middle on which the room name enamel plate was affixed. See example 10 Balloch Pier. After 1960 there were few standard colour schemes. The Oban line stations (except Oban) were repainted in 1960 / 1961 from a palette of pastel colours - eg Ach-na-cloich, Taynuilt, Loch Awe: pink with either red or blue doors; Connel Ferry light blue and white with red doors, Killin Junction and Strathyre: green; Crianlarich: light purple, blue, red doors, yellow windows; Callander: fawn+mustard+blue. Oban, and the Dunblane example posted by Jim are close to the Glasgow North Electrification blue and white, with yellow doors.

There seems to be a limit of six attachments. I attach photos 1 to 6 here and will post the remainder in a separate post.

John Paton
Attachments
Photo 6 Connel Ferry.jpg
Photo 6 Connel Ferry.jpg (102.98 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Photo 5 Greenhill Harold Bowtell.jpg
Photo 5 Greenhill Harold Bowtell.jpg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Photo 3 Callander.jpg
Photo 3 Callander.jpg (119.69 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Photo 2 Madderty Stuart Rankin.jpg
Photo 2 Madderty Stuart Rankin.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Photo 1 Comrie.jpg
Photo 1 Comrie.jpg (122.64 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
John Paton

Re: Station colours 1950s and early 60s

Post by John Paton »

Remaining photos from my previous post attached here.

John
Attachments
Photo 10 Balloch Pier.jpg
Photo 10 Balloch Pier.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Photo 9 Portknockie GNSRA.jpg
Photo 9 Portknockie GNSRA.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Photo 8 Stonehaven JP.jpg
Photo 8 Stonehaven JP.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Photo 7 Loch Awe  Norris Forrest.jpg
Photo 7 Loch Awe Norris Forrest.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Photo 4 Callander.jpg
Photo 4 Callander.jpg (162.14 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

The photo of Madderty confirms my memories of there being two shades of brown. I was never sure if this was a result of fading, dirt or an actual difference in shade. But here is another question, Some late photos seem to show Killin Station as having grey lower panels. And the wooden buildings at Cartsdyke were to a similar scheme. Were these buildings painted this light grey or was it the result of paint fading. This was rather late in the day for Cartsdyke and I wonder if the buildings were maybe originally Blue/cream.
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Coalburn station building was light grey at time of closure (1965), as seen in this Fred Landery shot taken after the track was lifted.
20230309-061-Coalburn.jpg
20230309-061-Coalburn.jpg (63.92 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Larkhall Central had grey and cream on the covered footbridge and platform access stairway in the mid-1960s: the platform buildings had lower parts of brick but the timber uppers were cream. (Also a Fred Landery photo).
20230309-031-larkhallcentral.jpg
20230309-031-larkhallcentral.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Other mid-Lanark stations in Fred's colour shots appear to be brown and cream.

regards
Graham Roberts
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Killin was painted brown and cream on 29th September 1954 (see paint date on photo Killin 2 below), and was never repainted after that. By the 1960s paint on the lower walls was bleaching off and I guess that rot was starting (see other two Killin photos below).
Some stations in the Glasgow areas were painted grey and creamin the early 1960s - like Coalburn and Larkhall Central in Fred's photos. See Coalburn below in brown+cream in 1961 but grey and cream in 1964. The cream was slightly different to that used in the 50s. This colour scheme was also applied at Strathaven (see photo below), but other Mid-Lanarks stations kept their 50s brown and cream. Other stations that I have seen photographed in grey and cream were Motherwell, Coatrbridge Central and Blantyre. I guess that Jane's memory of Cartsdyke was the same livery.

John
Attachments
Killin 3.jpg
Killin 3.jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Killin 2.jpg
Killin 2.jpg (130.25 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Killin 1.jpg
Killin 1.jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Strathaven Stuart Rankin.jpg
Strathaven Stuart Rankin.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Coalburn 61 and 64.jpg
Coalburn 61 and 64.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

I forgot Coalburn having grey lower panels. The paintwork at Killin was indeed in a terrible state. I have that film 'They Take the High Road' and clearly when that was filmed in 1959, the station was in the Brown/Cream. Clearly from the photo it seems that the 'grey' is just exposed timbers. There are some other films of Killin where it looks like Grey paint.