The records of the Company in terms of documents, photographs, maps and plans are held in various Archives across the country (see Other Resources). The surviving infrastructure continues to serves today's railways, but unfortunately, with hindsight, too few items of Caledonian Railway Rolling Stock have been preserved.
Key Surviving Caledonian Assets
|Wemyss Bay Station, has recently been adopted as part of the ScotRail programme to encourage greater local involvement in the wellbeing and upkeep of the stations on the network. The Friends of Wemyss Bay Station have been formed to promote the restoration of this Category A listed building and to seek ways of enhancing its role for both the travelling public and the local community.|
|CR 123, built by Neilson in 1886, gained much fame by participating in the 'Race to the North' in 1888. CR 123 was the only one of its class, built when Singles were being phased out. It served as Royal Train Pilot and the Officers' Engine as well as in revenue service. The locomotive is now on display in the Glasgow Riverside Museum.|
|CR 828, built at St Rollox in 1899 as a Passenger Goods engine, derived from the famous 'Dunalastair' classes. A total of 96 locomotives were built, including the 17 of the modified Class 652. CR 828 has re-entered service on Strathspey Railway, Aviemore following the major rebuild. The locomotive has been turned out the the early dark blue Caledonian Railway livery .
The Locomotive is now back in service at The Strathspey Railway following intermediate repairs which you can find out about at this blog.
|CR 419, built at St Rollox in 1907 for suburban and branchline work. 68 engines were built by McIntosh, 14 by Pickersgill and 10 by the LMS, McIntosh also built 10 as Condensing engines known as the Class 879. CR 419 operates on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway. For a few weeks the locomotive was painted in BR Livery as 55189. However, the locomotive has been withdrawn from service as its boiler certificate has expired. Work has started reassembling the engine as part of a major overhaul, which will see it return to service, now scheduled late 2017. More details available at srpssteam.com.|
|Caledonian Railway, Brechin. This former Caledonian branch line terminus is now part of the heritage railway operating between Brechin and Bridge of Dun as the Caledonian Railway, Brechin.|
CR 464 and 1375, a Brake Corridor Composite and a Third Corridor Compartment coach are still used at Bo'ness on special occasions. They are seen behind CR 123 in the above photograph.
CR 426, a 9 compartment non-corridor coach is also at Bo'ness awaiting preservation.
Bo'ness is also the home of a number of goods vehicles
73004 and 73007, 10 ton Covered Vans, c.1920.
170, Bogie Flat Wagon, 1913
212, Bogie Rail Wagon, 1913
57, 7 ton Gunpowder Van, 1922
437, 20 ton Brake Van, 1920
and the following whose CR numbers are unknown
30 ton Heavy Weight Wagon, 1915
40 ton Bogie Trolley Wagon, 1896
A CR livery 20T Weltrol 356 built 1913 in under restoration at the Great Central Railway
Strathspey Railway has a 5 ton Cowans, Sheldon Crane no. 201
A number of 10 ton Covered Vans similar to those at Bo'ness are at other heritage railways across Great Britain.